Life's vagaries explained through football, food, travel and canines.

Sunday, January 14, 2007

Cat-astrophe, Though Really Not That Bad...


I can't have a dog. For starters, I already have the world's best dog, Nina, who lives in PA for the moment, a fact that causes me no end of distress. I have a demanding job; I live alone; Bangkok is short on green space and dog runs--the list goes on.

So recently N answered affirmatively when I asked if I could have a cat, I was sort of excited. There had been a cat in the apartment before and we got along. I'm not a cat person, by any stretch, but I can hang.

Enter Number One and Number Two (Neung and Sorng in Thai)-- a combined total weight of 500 grams, rescued by a kind hearted, animal loving friend who heard them meowing in distress in an Asia Books box on Sukhumvit Road.

I admit it had been a long week and the sight of two malnourished screaming kittens drove me towards the wine bottle immediately, but things have mellowed considerably since then-- we have fed them milk using a medicine dropper, swaddled and played. Litterbox training a breeze compared to dogs' toilet issues. I remind myself that a routine is essential. This morning twas not fun trying to get myself ready and feeding and cuddling two squirmy cats at once, carrying them around with me in a towel like a cat burrito.

How would this be with actual tiny human beings? Gaaaaaaaahhhhhh!

ETA: Neung seems to have figured out how to drink milk from a small dish. Hurrah! one less cat to hand feed.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Never thought I would see the day! You really have gone soft with age. They are adorable, however, and it sounds like a good compromise!

5:18 PM

 
Blogger Big J. said...

Cute, very cute. Sasha and Cleo send their regards.

7:38 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

On behalf of Nina and myself, I must say the news is shocking and distressing.

But the kitties ARE kind of cute and squishable, ne'er-do-well critters tho they might be.

9:12 AM

 
Blogger sdf said...

Hi Di,

Great to hear from you and to see your new kitties. Hope they will get to meet our kitties and their big boss Sonali soon!

Love,
Shoumita

12:40 PM

 
Blogger Grace said...

NEUNG AND SORNG!!!! how wonderful.

but will number two always feel number two??

kitties!!!!!

6:29 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home