Life's vagaries explained through football, food, travel and canines.

Thursday, August 16, 2007

You Deserve A Break Today: McD Breakfast Finally Arrives




Ah Bangkok, city of a thousand temples and more than a few hangovers. It is true. And one of Western civilizations greatest inventions--the breakfast sandwich-- doesn't exist here. Locals prefer little brown bottles of something to perk them up, get them over the hump and on with the day. I, for one, have usually had enough of bottles the morning after, unless it's an opaque white plastic one containing ibuprofen.

Living in a complex region like Southeast Asia, one is constantly making comparisons among the countries here and one thing that often comes up after cheap massage, GDP, literacy rates, foreign ownership laws and what time bars close, is the elusive fast food breakfast. So far, Singapore and Malaysia were beating the pants off of Thailand in this regard. (And they both have TOPSHOP.)

Rumor had it that Burger King in BK serves some kind of eggy approximation but I only learned that information today after making my own discovery which for the grease-needing expats in this town is SUPER SIZED.

You get Mc Donald's breakfast here now.

The McThai Bfast FAQ.

Where are the select locations that I can get jiggy with my hashbrowns?

So far, only at Amarin Tower, The Mall Ngamwongwan, Robinson Sukhumvit and Center One. But I have not spied those dreaded little words "for a limited time only"--lovers of the Shamrock Shake know what I am talking about, so hopefully McBfast is here to stay.
Do they come if you choose the McDelivery option?

This I am not sure about--when you McDeliver, does it go to a central computer and locate the McD nearest you which then completes the order? For first time users, you may want to go to the above branches. Also, the lovely staff is not quite versed in the menu and this morning, I got a Sausage (cough) Burger instead of the Sausage and Egg Burger that my being was crying out for. A mix up in your order? In Thailand? I can hear you thinking, Surely, she jests...

Sausage and Egg Burger?!--Put down the crack pipe, Suya--everyone knows that a McMuffin requires a muffin.

Sure, you and I know that. But as the locals like to remind you that this is thai-LAND and all things must contain sugar (see also Coffee). Therefore muffin means "sugary soft cake found at 7-11" and not a suitable base for my breakfast meat, cheese and egg.

Okay, well then, how was it?

Honestly not bad at all. But you may be assuming I chewed. Also on the flyer of happiness, I see something called the Big Breakfast--for a mere 79 THB, you get a hashbrown, scrambled eggs, a sausage patty, and what LOOKS to be two English muffins. Some assembly required.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home