Life's vagaries explained through football, food, travel and canines.

Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Tom Yam Kuyt: Thailand v Holland

Last night N and I along with two friends went to watch one of many international friendlies around the world---in our case and neck of the woods, it was Thailand v. Holland.

For Thailand, it was a chance to toughen up in preparation for the Asian Cup against a storied world class side, though sadly one that was missing some of its marquee players--I'm looking at you--Rudie Van Horseface.... And for the Dutch, well, it was a chance to make tall people dress in orange, I guess. And to make those folks happy, because you guys from the Pays-Bas, you can play the football.

N and I missed the first half due to incredibly vexing traffic conditions. I had in my previous outings to the stadium taken a motorcycle but it's quite a difficult and dangerous journey. I recall at that time I just held out my ticket to the guy and said "BECKHAM, BECK-HAAAM" very loudly. Real had come to town, you see.

The match: The Dutch were easy, elegant and lovely and Thailand had their scrappy moments. But a trounce was inevitable with Holland winning 3-1. I caught up with my buddy NG with one eye on the pitch--we are worse than a sewing circle, he and I. And I found out that it wasn't that he was terribly busy (though I do think he is) and couldn't have lunch with me, but that lunchtime for him is around 6pm!

We then took a bus straight towards several pints of Guinness.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home