Life's vagaries explained through football, food, travel and canines.

Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Suya in Singapore

So I am Singapore, cause I got the job that I have been wanting, well, for a while. I am the Indochina correspondent for Channel News Asia. I'll be based in Bangkok reporting mostly about Thailand. Can you even stand it? I apologize if you are hearing about this via blog--it's just that the past few weeks have been rather busy. I am so excited and a touch nervous about doing a good job. But damn does it feel good!

This week has been: a medical exam, a photo shoot, visa stuff, a bank account, and voice, on camera, live cross, newswriting and editing training. Don't worry, I still managed to shop my brains out. it is S'pore after all. I can't go into it since mother may read this blog, but suffice it to say, all of it is dreadfully chic. Oh yes, one of the items was Adidas.

Singapore Observations

* McDonalds and Burger King serve breakfast here--they don't in Thailand. So I have had a McMuffin and a (close your ears if you are French) a a Croissan'wich. Also am enjoying the beans on toast at the buffest. Ew, am I English??

* Any place that is made up of half Chinese and half Indian SHOULD in my opinion have very strict laws. Can you imagine the alternative?

* Coffee transport: I have written about the plastic bag as a carrier for liquids hot and cold in Prathet Thai, but here they give you a cup and put a plastic SLING around it so you can swing your coffee around as you sashay down the....

* Singapore is walkable not like the enormous pothole that is Bangkok. I missed walking, fast, without tripping over a lip of concrete and falling over a red cheeked rotund man and his tawny sleek haired companion.

* All in all, I've enjoyed the break from the 'Kok. I am also in love with my new G4. Sigh. I like him because I decide when to turn him off. I like the new Sopranos and Grey's Anatomy too. We miss good tv over here

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wooooooo! Congratulations!

6:01 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aaaaahhhhhh, i love your life!! I know I'm not supposed to say it, but I am so living vicariously through you. we miss you here, give us a jing a ling.

Chika

1:02 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home