Life's vagaries explained through football, food, travel and canines.

Sunday, February 26, 2006

From Your Correspondent


Well, well, what political upheaval we have here. The Prime Minister dissolved Parliament here on Friday and there are tens of thousands of people who are protesting his call for a snap election--which his party will win, natch.

All I can say is that it's really wreaking havoc on my social life, but then, that's the height of self-absorption, isn't it?

Anyway, it has been quite a day. I have been writing news for an hourly broadcast for the past twelve hours. I think there should be someone here to relieve me shortly.

But the exciting bit is that I got to do a couple of phoners for Channel News Asia. Their regular correspondent is doing a documentary on southern violence. I think the phoners went well and it was all very exciting.

Among the questions:
What's the mood in Bangkok?
Is there violence expected at the rally?
What impact will the opposition party's boycott have on the upcoming snap elections?

You know, yer usual shizznit.

They used the above picture, which gives my Thai friends the giggles, cause it is so unlike me. It is the SERIOUS me. The TERRFIED SERIOUS FOREIGN CORRESPONDENT. Go ahead, laugh away. That's what it's there for. And there is one that is even worse!!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hilarious!! nice slicked back hair

- grace

10:24 PM

 
Blogger Siobhan said...

Hey there--have you seen this?
http://travel2.nytimes.com/2006/03/01/travel/bangkokletter.html?8dpc

Can you tell me what this girl is carping about exactly? Seems like an awkward moment politically to focus on how horrible it is to have your ID checked at a bar?

11:24 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home